Monday, December 24, 2012

Twas the Night Before Christmas

A few years ago my brother wrote his own version of Clement Clarke Moore's "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Nick had just graduated from college that past summer and had spent the months leading up to the holidays in a grueling search for a job in the financial industry. He used some of his spare time that holiday to pen the following poem and it's become a Christmas Eve tradition to read Nick's version of the classic poem each year.

The Night Before Christmas
by Nicholas Salezze
 (Permission graciously granted by the author after a small bribe was made.)

'Twas the night before Christmas, and I still had no job;
Not a business was hiring, not even the mob.
It wasn't my choice to start a career,
I just wanted to stay in college and drink lots of beer.
I said my goodnights and went to my bed,
While visions of dollar signs danced in my head;
I knew while my dad was laying on down,
He'd think of my progress and surely he'd frown.
I thought to myself, should I be like his daughter
and move to Schenectady, or hell, maybe farther;
He missed her a lot, maybe he'd miss me too
and then feel bad for what he put me through.
I couldn't do that, I just couldn't leave;
I'd miss spending time with my mom and her bees;
When it comes to being kind, my mother is able
Just don't answer your phone when you're at the table.
I then stopped thinking of my professional state;
I'll go to sleep and leave it to fate.
I awake in the morning to a delightful call;
It was an offer to coach for boy's basketball.
I said yes right away and was very excited;
Then I told my father, who seemed kind of slighted;
He wasn't ecstatic with my new position;
Cuz in his eyes only what mattered was one condition;
In regards to that call I need a re-occurrence;
Because as my dad pointed, it didn't come with insurance.
I was all bummed out and didn't know what to do;
Then I thought "I'll head up to Scranton, go visit da U."
I'll visit my friends who still think I'm cool;
They just told me to get a job, and to stop being a fool.
I came back home, with my head in my hands;
"What the hell happened," I thought, I used to have fans;
I'll call my sister, she"ll know what to say,
"Nick, it's ten in the morning, for waking me you'll pay."
As I walked into the kitchen, what did I see?
The only Salezze less successful than me.
"Hey there, Charlie, how is your day?"
"Roof, roof," he barked. That's all he can say.
I gave him a hug, thinking he needed one too;
Then Aunt Patty said Nick, take him out to poo."
I looked at Charlie who was jumping with glee
and wished I was that happy after only a pee.
I came back inside and thought to myself,
What are my job options, I'm too big for an elf;
Oh phone, please ring, someone please call,
I don't know know how deeper my depression may fall.
And that's when it happened, my luck finally changed,
the job offer I'd wanted had finally came.
I had to tell my family, it would make them so happy
and maybe my dad would stop being so sappy.
So I hung up the phone without even knowing;
My mom was there, tears already flowing;
She sprang up from her seat and gave me a kiss
Ahh the appreciation that I've clearly missed.
I'm so happy and glad, ahh this feels so right;
If only I knew I'd be studying all night!


Click the picture below for an extra special Christmas treat!


Wishing you and yours a happy holiday!

Let it Bead,
Marla

~~

What holiday traditions do you celebrate each year?

In addition to reading my brother's poem, my family also goes to Christmas Eve mass, eats a seafood dinner Christmas Eve and wakes up extra early (per my brothers demand request) to open presents and bask in the early morning glow of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment