Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pattern Play

Every summer the Bead Society of Eastern PA, of which I'm a member, has a summer bead challenge. This year's challenge was to create something beaded inspired by a piece of fabric. All contestants were given a random piece of fabric to inspire their design.

 I received a piece of turquoise fabric with multi-colored polka dots:


Here were my original sketches and ideas for transforming the fabric into a beaded piece of jewelry:


My goal was to bring the colorful pattern to life with Swarovski crystals.


I used rivolis to represent the polka dots, and bicones and rondelles to represent the turquoise background. 


An assortment of colorful Swarovski crystal rivolis were bezeled with sterling silver seed beads and connected with turquoise Swarovski crystal bicones. Turquoise rondelles attached the focal point to a sterling silver clasp. 


I utilized the vibrant sparkle from the Swarovski crystals and a vivid juxtaposition of turquoise to create a polka dot paradise. It was quite the pattern play! 


My Polka Dot Paradise necklace came in 1st place for the BSOEPA's 2012 Summer Bead Challenge. I was honored to receive 1st place for the second year in a row for my original jewelry design. You can view last year's winning piece, Olivine's Garden, here.

Let it Bead,

Marla




~~

Have you ever created something inspired by a piece of fabric or fashion?

No comments:

Post a Comment