Tuesday, March 4, 2014

NOLA: Eats & Entertainment


I had the opportunity to visit New Orleans for the very first time back in January. In celebration of Mardi Gras, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite restaurants and entertainment from The Big Easy.

famous "Blue Dog" painting
The first restaurant we visited was a recommendation from the concierge. We had just arrived at the hotel and it was too early to check into our room. So we walked a few blocks down the street to a minimalistic place called ROOT. It features modern American cuisine in Old World flavors and technique. We had the house-made charcuterie featuring “face” bacon served with pickled cauliflower and strawberries and artisanal mustard. I also had the best fish and chips of my life.

face bacon charcuterie at Root

The Palace Café is a classic New Orleans restaurant serving contemporary Creole food in an upbeat and lively grand café. Walking into the restaurant felt like walking into a party scene from The Great Gatsby. The wait staff wore black bowties and the tables were covered with white tablecloths. It was an instant throwback to old school NOLA. We attended a dinner party there our first night, so getting all dolled up in formal attire just added to the ambiance. The standout dishes from this restaurant included the turtle soup and white chocolate bread pudding, a NOLA original.

traditional street fare at the French Market

French Market
I spent one of my mornings strolling around the French Market, a large variety of artisan stands in the French Quarter. Some of my favorite stands included strands upon strands of colorful beads and jewelry made from salvaged metals found in the Hurricane Katrina wreckage. The surrounding stores house incredible artwork including jewelry, paintings and sculptures from local artists.

beads upon beads at the French Market

The atmosphere in this restaurant was incredible. It was colorful and fun with outstanding casual New Orleans seafood. I indulged in the shrimp and grits and a few dirty martinis. The best part about this restaurant, in addition to the exceptional seafood, is its location on Bourbon Street. Once you’ve indulged in dinner you can walk out the door and right down the famous New Orleans street for some evening and early morning entertainment.  

the original Cafe Du Monde

VIP City Bus tour
I know it’s got “tourist” written all over it, but I really do swear by city bus tours, especially when I have an extremely limited timeframe to take it all in. In less than three hours I was able to see the entire French Quarter, the neighborhoods affected by hurricane Katrina, St. Louis Cemetery No. 3, the Garden District and the Superdome. It’s a great way to get a little taste of everything in the city and then you can decide what you want to go back to and explore in more detail.

tombstones at St. Louis Cemetery No. 3 (there are three St. Louis cemeteries)

I had the most unique culinary experience here at Antoine’s, the country’s oldest family-run restaurant established in 1840. The meal started with Oysters Rockefeller, the famous baked oyster dish that was originated by Antoine’s founder from a recipe developed in 1889. The classic ingredients were whipped into a soufflé and served on the half shell. I also tasted a new fish for the first time—pompano, a mild flavored fish with a firm texture. After seeing crème caramel on the menu for dessert, it was an easy ordering decision. My grandmother fell in love with Antoine’s crème caramel back in the 70’s and when she opened a restaurant in the early 80’s she recreated the recipe for her own dessert menu. The sweet treat was very reminiscent of the dessert I used to watch her make in the restaurant kitchen when I was a little girl.  

Hurricane drinks at Pat O'Brien's

My aunt, whose favorite city is New Orleans, highly encouraged me to visit the classic watering hole of Pat O’Brien’s located on St. Peter and Bourbon St. After dinner one night, we stopped to have our fill of the world famous fruity rum cocktail known as the Hurricane. It was delicious! And way too easy to throw a few too many of them back.

storefront at Rev. Zombie's Voodoo Shop

Rev. Zombie’s Voodoo Shop
I was determined to find an authentic voodoo shop while I was here. While there were plenty of touristy voodoo shops that sold t-shirts and Mardis Gras beads, Rev. Zombie’s Voodoo Shop was definitely the real deal. I found everything from magical talismans, spell candles and even eye of newt. It’s located right across the street from Pat O’Brien’s, but I don’t recommend drunk shopping here…you might scare yourself in the morning when you review your shopping bag.    
 
entrance to the House of Blues

Maison and other jazz bars on Frenchman Street
After learning where all the great jazz bars are in NOLA (thank you VIP City Tour) we hunkered down at Maison on Frenchman Street. We sipped on Southern Peaches, a peach and ginger infused vodka with peach bitters, simple syrup, club soda and sprite—a cocktail fit for a southern peach—and got in the rhythm—or lack thereof—of the jazz music played by a variety of local jazz bands.

The Gumbo Shop on Saint Peter Street

All my life I kept hearing the story about my dad’s family eating at The Gumbo Shop during their trip to NOLA in the 70’s. Parts of the story I recall include eating Tabasco sauce on crackers to curb their hunger while waiting to be seated, consuming dozens upon dozens of raw oysters and the best. Gumbo. Ever.  On my last day in NOLA I found out my great aunt had passed away. She was one of the original Salezze’s to visit NOLA with the family back in the day. A little melancholy after the news and with a few hours before it was time to catch my flight, I decided a little New Orleans comfort food was in order and we ended up at, the award winning Gumbo Shop. Seriously, it was the best. Gumbo. Ever. Even more poignant was passing St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square on the way and slipping in to light a candle in honor of my great Aunt Erma’s memory. 

lit candle at the St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square

I couldn’t leave the city without indulging in beignets and café au lait, and where else but the original coffee stand at Café Du Monde. Beignets are square French-style donuts served hot and lavishly covered with powdered sugar. The café is opened 24/7 and has a limited menu of beignets and coffee. It is definitely a NOLA tradition not to be missed!

beignets & cafe au lait BEFORE
beignets & cafe au lait AFTER
What are some of your favorite NOLA eats and entertainment?

Let it Bead,
Marla

~~


No comments:

Post a Comment